What is Therapeutic Recreation?
Therapeutic Recreation is the only health profession that is completely dedicated to helping people overcome health barriers and engage in healthy and rewarding leisure activity.
Sometimes also referred to as Recreation Therapy, it serves people of any age in a wide variety of settings, such as hospitals, long-term care facilities, drug rehabilitation centres and private homes.
The profession is guided in Ontario by a professional association known as Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO). The profession is represented nationally by the Canadian Therapeutic Recreation Association (CTRA). Therapeutic Recreation works to optimize health within the scope of a person’s abilities and potential. We use tools and therapeutic programs derived from recreation and leisure activities. We make a meaningful difference in people’s lives by helping clients and their families get the most out of life and cope with illness, disability or other barriers.
In-home therapeutic recreation, mental health support and responsive behaviour management, for anyone 18+ years old
How we change the lives of our clients
We improve the lives of our clients by helping them:
- Regain a sense of independence
- Enjoy improved strength and balance for falls prevention
- Learn to better manage a health challenge
- Learn to adapt to health challenges while continuing to enjoy favourite activities
- Develop new skills and interests
- “Age in place” and avoid moving to a care facility
- Experience relief from anxiety
- Delay cognitive decline
- Improve memory retention and recall
- Increase motivation
- Grow social networks
- Have fun
How we change the lives of our client’s families
We improve the lives of our client’s families by helping them:
- Have peace of mind knowing that while you can’t be there, a professional is
- Be empowered with detailed reporting and ongoing communication
- Feel joy knowing that their loved one is enjoying activities designed especially for him/her
- Experience satisfaction watching their loved one setting and reaching goals
- Feel relief as their loved one’s quality of living improves
What will I / my family member be doing during your sessions?
It depends on the individual’s unique strengths, interests and goals.
Our first step is to get to know each other through our initial free consultation, as well as a comprehensive assessment process once we get started. With situation and goals clarified, we create a custom session plan. The plan will evolve over time and we will continually communicate progress and recommendations to you.
A few of our success stories
Ready for a positive change?
Recreation is a necessary contributor to a healthy and happy life, for every one of us. Health challenges are not a barrier to enjoying life when our skilled, experienced and caring Recreation Therapists are on the job.
We go beyond personal care and improve quality of living for people of all ages with:
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s
- Developmental disorders
- Social isolation
- Mental health challenges such as anxiety, depression, or challenging behaviours
- Responsive behaviours
- Loss of motivation or sense of purpose
- Need for caregiver respite
- Results of a stroke
- Physical disability
- Brain injury
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Sedentary lifestyle
Learn about Therapeutic Recreation
Most recent article for
Therapeutic Recreation Professionals
Most recent article for
Friends & Family Caregivers
Therapeutic Recreation Programming for People Displaying Symptoms of Depression
This “Programming for clients living with depression” guide is written with an audience of recreation professionals in mind. However the principles can resonate with and be adapted by any caregiver.